C4ISR systems provide a common tactical picture to commanders, collect and disseminate information for decision- making, synthesize operations, and permit the rapid gathering and exploitation of intelligence. Examples of C4ISR systems include high frequency radios, night vision goggles, battlefield sensors and mine-detection sets. C4ISR organizations are responsible for the research, development, acquisition and management of these electronic systems and also develop software and applications for use in the field. BRAC 2005 consolidated and relocated C4ISR organizations from Fort Monmouth, NJ, and Ft. Belvoir, VA, to Aberdeen Proving Ground:
- The Communications- Electronics Command (CECOM) Life Cycle Management Command falls under the umbrella of the C4ISR mission and is the organization responsible for the acquisition and management of electronic systems found throughout the joint services.
- The Communications Electronics Research, Development and Engineering Center (CERDEC) develops and integrates communications-electronics technologies that enable the warfighter to sense the battle space, deny and disrupt enemy efforts, and remain “connected” to achieve and sustain information superiority.
- The Program Executive Office for Enterprise Information Systems (PEO-EIS) provides infrastructure and information management systems to the Army. This involves the development, acquisition and deployment of tactical and management information technology systems and products.
- Program Executive Office for Intelligence, Electronic Warfare & Sensors (PEO IEW&S) provides sensors and assimilates sensor information into products that can be used by the warfighter for targeting, surveillance, situational awareness, force protection, and reconnaissance.
- Program Executive Office for Command, Control and Communications-Tactical (PEO C3T) provides computer systems, radios and communications networks to the battlefield. Specialized software applications, generators, radios, computers, servers and communications systems, as well as training and support are the services provided by PEO C3T.